We are fortunate to have had places on the Earth named after our relatives. Perhaps even, originally, our family name was derived from the name of a place. To acknowledge this relationship between names and places we have developed a list of those places of which we are aware that bear one of the versions of the family name. To the extent we can determine the origin of that name we have included that information as well.
Seagroves Creek: is a stream that empties into the channel east of the Darwin River.
Seagrave: is a village and civil parish in the Charnwood District of Leicestershire. It has a population of around 500, measured at the 2011 census as 546. One of the earliest mentions of this place is in the Domesday Book where it was named Segrave and listed amongst the lands in the wapentake of Goscote given to Henry de Ferrers by King William I. On the 1805 British Ordnance Survey it is named as Segrave, located about a mile west of the old Roman Fosse Way, with a lime kiln and quarries, on the south edge of the Segrave Wolds ("a range of hills which consists of open country overlying a base of limestone or chalk low hills"). In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seagrave like this: "a parish, with a village, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; 2 miles N NE of Sileby rail station, and 6 miles SE by E of Loughborough. It has a post-office under Loughborough. Acres: 2,470."
Seagrave Road: Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6, is about 4 miles west of the center of London.
Cabra House: (Irish: An Chabrach,
meaning "the poor land") is an inner suburb on the northside of Dublin.
Completed in 1598, it was first occupied by the Segrave family. The
mansion was then the home of the 'hanging judge' Lord Norbery until he
died in 1831 and the Segrave family managed to acquire it again. Charles
Segrave, whose son was the famous racing driver Henry Segrave lived
there until 1912.
Segrave's Castle: was built about 1493 by Richard Segrave (1434-abt 1494). Segrave's Castle is now a ruin.
Seagrave House: Roadstown, is a detached four-bay two-story house, built circa 1850 near the Irish Sea about 40 miles north of Dublin. This long, narrow, house has a lop-sided appearance owing to the asymmetric positioning of the entrance porch. The bracketed roof eaves detailing is of interest and original fenestration has survived. The boundary wall coping, and gate posts are also worthy of note. Extensive stone outbuildings are of some quality suggesting association with a large farm.
Segrave Square: The Segrave name was once of major importance in the area. The Civil Survey of the 1650's was a list of land ownership in 1640. In this Patrick Segrave of Killeglan is named as the proprietor of the ‘Parish and towne of Killeglan 3/4 of a plowland with 360 acres' of which 300 were arable. It is observed ‘There are on the premises a castle a stone house a church a mill and divers cabins'. The lands of Killeglan had previously been owned by the Wafre family who lived there for almost 200 hundred years until 1420. It was one of the last of the Wafre family who built a tower house or castle in Killegland. This castle and its lands came to the Segrave family through marriage and they remained owners until 1649. They became one of the most influential and wealthy non-aristocratic families in Ireland during the 1500s. In the rebellion and turbulent times of the 1640's, Patrick Segrave of Killeglan is named amongst those who tried to defend Kilsallaghan Castle against English forces. Following the Rebellion the lands and castle of Killegland were granted to Cromwell's son and later to Thomas Carter, a soldier and adventurer. It was during this time that the castle was allowed to fall into ruin.
Seagrave Lake: District of Kenora, Province of Ontario, is a large recreational lake in the Red Lake Mining District.
Seagrave: is a community in the Province of Ontario located about 43 miles [69 km] to the northeast of Toronto near Lake Scugog. It is not far from another Ontario community called "Uxbridge", probably hinting at a close tie with the Seagrave family that settled in Uxbridge, Massachusetts in the early 18th century.
Segraves Circle: Smyrna, Kent County, Delaware is a residential cul-de-sac just west of US Highway 13 off Dodge Drive and north of Garrison's Lake in Smyrna, Delaware.
Seagrove: along the Emerald Coast of Northwest Florida, Seagrove is a mile-and-a-half beach that encircles a small cove and lures visitors with its beauty and serenity. Named for the thick grove of windswept trees that surround it, Seagrove still maintains the same green canopy of oaks, magnolias, hickories and sand pines that came to define it a half a century ago. Today, according to online advertising, "Seagrove has an eclectic mix of old beach homesteads and newer cottages, as well as a well-balanced menu of off-beach activities that range from exploring Point Washington State Forest to browsing the beach shops and restaurants along Scenic Highway 30A." (While not actually named after a family member, it is a geographic spot with a version of the family name)
Seagrave Street: is a north-south roadway connecting Beville Road and Big Tree Road in South Daytona, Volusia County, Florida.
Seagrave Way: is a residential street off Chapman Drive in Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia.
Lake Seagraves: is a 33 acre reservoir in central Madison County, Georgia near the historic Seagraves Mill along Seagraves Mill Road.
Seagraves Mill Road: runs from Georgia Highway 334 south through central Madison County and the old hamlet of Seagraves around the historic Seagraves Mill to its junction with Nowhere Road near the hamlet of Sanford.
The Seagraves Mine: is a gold mine located in Custer County, Idaho at an elevation of 7,201 feet about 60 miles northeast of Boise in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area. Historically the site has been
associated with the Seafoam Mining District which is now part of the Challis
National Forest. The Seagrave Gold Mine was closed at the time of data entry
with no known plans to re-open. Associated rock in this area is quartz monzonite
from the Pliocene epoch 5.33 to 2.58 million years ago. The Northern Rocky
Mountains physiographic province of the Rocky Mountain System characterize the
geomorphology of the surrounding area. Isrel and James Seagraves are listed as owners of the mine.
Seagraves Creek: is a small drainage alongside Highway 38 in Harlan County, Kentucky near Seagroves Road four miles from Kenvir and near the old Highsplint mining area.
Seagroves Road: is a short spur road running south then west along Seagraves Creek off Highway 38 in Harlan County, Kentucky through the old Highsplint mining area to near the village of Benito.
Seagraves Road: is a short road in Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts paralleling US Highway 3 off Whittemore Ave. to Columbus Ave. along the Alewife Greenway.
Seagrave Street: is a two-block street in Uxbridge, Worcester County, Massachusetts from Douglas Street to North Main Street lined with pleasant early 20th century single family homes. It is very possible a member of the Massachusetts Seagrave family that settled in Uxbridge once lived on this street.
Seagrove: is a town in Randolph County, North Carolina with an estimated 2016 population of 229. It was named for Edwin G. Seagraves, a railroad official who was responsible for routing a railroad through the area. According to local sources, after a unanimous decision to name the station after Seagraves, the town name resulted from a sign painter running out of space and simply dropping the 's' from the end of the name. Also, the painter misspelled Seagraves as Seagrove. Seagrove's pottery tradition dates back to the 18th century before the American Revolution. Many of the first Seagrove potters were Scots-Irish immigrants. They primarily produced functional, glazed earthenware. Due to the high quality of the local clay and transportation access for traders, Seagrove became known for its pottery.
Seagroves Farm: in Apex, Wake County, North Carolina is an 11-acre park at 201 Parkfield Drive with an asphalt walking trail, a pond with fishing pier, a shelter/restroom facility, a multi-age playground and an open playfield. John Henry Seagroves was born on July 17, 1873, son of a Wake County tenant farmer. As a young adult, he worked as a laborer at the Mann Plantation, where he met his future wife, Nevada Pearl Mann. John and Nevada married in 1901. In 1904, John purchased 92 acres of farmland in White Oak Township for $540, the property on which Seagrove's Farm currently exists. Corn, cotton, and tobacco were grown. Eventually, Raymond Baker and his three brothers were hired to build a one-story, triple-A-roofed house on a portion of the land. The house, completed in 1910, featured decorative gables, wood paneled walls, pine floors, 11-foot ceilings, and a wraparound porch. Some of John and Nevada's five children who grew up on the farm became well known in the community. One example is John Q. Seagroves, who was a rural mail carrier. John Q. lived in the house until 1946, when he moved into a brick ranch built behind the original house after marrying Margaret Jones Rogers. Different family members lived on the farm thereafter, with Walter Seagroves being the last to leave in 1989. The last remaining child of John and Nevada, Lelia Seagroves Womble, died in 2002. Before her death, she lived in the big, white house (now gray) at the intersection of Center and Culvert Streets.
Sagraves Drive: is a short north/south residential street off Deer Creek Drive in Vandalia, Montgomery County, Ohio, northeast of the intersection of interstate highways 70 and 75 just north of the City of Dayton, Ohio.
Seagraves Road: in Lafayette, Macon County, Tennessee is a short spur road of about 69 meters (75 yards) between Red Boiling Springs Road and Union Camp Road. William Henry “Jake" Seagraves was the first owner of the property and the large white frame two story farmhouse on Seagraves Road. His son, John Wesley “Luther” Seagraves was born there and lived there his entire life.
The Waugh-Segraves Family Cemetery: was located on the Wildersville-Yuma road in the old 9th District, Henderson County, Tennessee (close to the Carroll and Henderson County boundaries). Raymond and Dorothy Seagraves built their home close to where his ancestors were buried. The cemetery was shaded by some very large cedar trees. It has since been razed by the blade of the bulldozer. The land was owned by a Peterson family as recently as 2003.
Seagraves: is a city in Gaines County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,417 at the 2010 census. The area was known as Blythe, Texas until 1917 when the Santa Fe railroad moved into the vicinity, but the Santa Fe already had one town by the name located in Blythe, California. The company decided to change the name of this new location to honor Charles L. Seagraves, an employee who worked as a traveling agent and was favored by residents. The Spearman Land Company building was the first commercial building to be erected, and the Higginbotham Bartlett Lumber Company followed shortly thereafter. Seagraves grew rapidly as a town until 1928 when it suffered a fire that burned a major portion of the business section. The only building left standing was the Seagraves Motor Company, which led to the rebuilding of modern brick buildings, many of which remain today.